Influenza and the common cold share some symptoms in common, but influenza tends to come on more suddenly, last longer and is more severe. There is also a higher risk of complications, such as pneumonia, and influenza can make other health problems, such as asthma, worse.
Flu Symptoms vs. Cold Symptoms:
What can be done to prevent getting a cold or the flu?
- Rest: try to get 8 hours of sleep on a regular basis
- Physical activity: aim for an average of 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week
- Drink water: try to drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily
- Nutrition: eat a healthy, well-balanced diet with lots of vegetables
- Hand washing: proper technique keeps germs away
- Annual flu shot: talk to your Value Drug Mart or Apple Drugs Pharmacist today!